MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE

Vues Du Monde : ce Forum MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE est lieu d'échange, d'apprentissage et d'ouverture sur le monde.IL EXISTE MILLE MANIÈRES DE MENTIR, MAIS UNE SEULE DE DIRE LA VÉRITÉ.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  GalerieGalerie  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Derniers sujets
Marque-page social
Marque-page social reddit      

Conservez et partagez l'adresse de MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE sur votre site de social bookmarking
QUOI DE NEUF SUR NOTRE PLANETE
LA FRANCE NON RECONNAISSANTE
Ephémerides
Le Deal du moment :
Cdiscount : -30€ dès 300€ ...
Voir le deal

Slavery Is Past. It's Time Brazil and Africa Unite in Mutual

AuteurMessage
mihou
Rang: Administrateur
mihou

Slavery Is Past. It's Time Brazil and Africa Unite in Mutual Empty
MessageSlavery Is Past. It's Time Brazil and Africa Unite in Mutual

Slavery Is Past. It's Time Brazil and Africa Unite in Mutual Understanding
Written by Dirce Carrion
Monday, 27 November 2006

Olhares Cruzados, an Africa-Brazil exchange program"Without Angola, there is no Brazil," said the polemical Friar Antonio Vieira at the beginning of the 17th Century. Now we, being the largest black nation second only to Nigeria, ask the question, "Without Africa, what is Brazil?"

During 350 years of black slavery in Brazil, millions of Africans were pulled out of their natural and social environments, condemned to years of dispersion and miscegenation, marketed and sold in the most perverse, harsh and lucrative business of the New World.

Brazil and Africa were united in a tragic form through the trafficking of slaves. But we could say poetically that it was the waves and the winds of the Atlantic Ocean that united us in historic resistance to slavery and social exclusion. Perhaps the oldest and most effective form of resistance can be found in our rituals and the various manifestations of our Afro-Brazilian cultures.

The terrible journey across the Atlantic did not deprive the African people of the memories of their gods, nor the ability to recognize foreign gods, and certainly not their ability to identify with others in their state of slavery. It was through this constant interchange that gave birth to Afro-Brazilian culture.

Africa still suffers from the effects of the immense exodus of workers. It suffers from colonialism's arbitrary division of its territories which grouped together ethnic rivals and separated groups that were friendly to each other, generating incessant internal strife. But the strength of its ancient culture continues to be a unique and fundamental reference for the world.

In the last decades, economic interests have destroyed the lives of millions around the world. The peoples of Africa, still wrapped up in the long process of de-colonizing themselves, have paid dearly in this contemporary Holocaust. It is very serious that the world stands by as this happens.

But now, hoping to understand this context better and to change it, we are proposing new steps which may engender a different Brazil-Africa exchange, with a new basis for relationships, without personal agendas and certainly not neo-colonial motives.

Now that political dependency on the colonizers has been cut off, the ex-colonies have begun to talk more about friendship and cooperation among themselves. We believe that now is the time to diversify and increase the quality of our relations through increased mutual understanding.

Yet the greater part of our information about Africa comes through the media, which only highlights the negative: wars, epidemics, hunger, misery. We envision changing the way we see Africa; and to do this, we need to highlight the positive: the strength of its cultures and its history of resistance.

This is the line we are taking in our project, Olhares Cruzados. The project promotes the identification of common, cultural roots through the exchange of photographs, cards, drawings, videos, toys, musical instruments and crafts produced by children of Brazil, Africa and the Caribbean while participating in creative, imaginative workshops.

Using artistic methods which permit the children to use their own language, our intention is to help children make these methods of expression their own so that they can see themselves in their work, through their own way of looking, not through a "colonialist" or vertical reading in which the context is not accessible to the agents.

Taking into account the local reality and respecting the traditional culture of each country, we facilitate exchanges between children from Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Senegal and Haiti, the latter being the first independent country of the Americas and the first free black nation of the world.

In 2007, together with Revista Viração, project Olhares Cruzados plans to host an exchange between children of a MST (Movement of Rural Workers Without Land) encampment and children of a refugee camp in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The plan is to send a team of Brazilians to conduct workshops in the Congo, and then in the spirit of reciprocity, we will invite African educators and artists to come and do the same here in Brazil.

Whether they be from Africa, Brazil or the Caribbean, the children always want to deal with themes that are most dear to them: family, friends, television, toys, food, the parts of home life that are the "prettiest." We have noticed that even in regions where the reality is very difficult, the children's letters, drawings and artwork are permeated with happiness and a hope for a better future.

Believing that self-esteem is essential in overcoming prejudices and the barriers that are placed in front of them, we always try to have them look through an optimistic lens so that they will have a better chance of inserting themselves in the world.

In Brazil, where many do not believe that racism exists (but the society continues to practice it), it is up to us Brazilians and Africans to show that the waters that brought slavery and different cultures also created a solid bridge, which many still refuse to recognize.

Believing in the possibilities that it offers, as a form of expression and communication, a way to promote peace, a fight against social exclusion and racial intolerance, we hope that Olhares Cruzados project be one more step in the long journey of making right the cultural relations among peoples.

Dirce Carrion is director of Olhares Cruzados, a project that encourages the exchange of letter, pictures and art between African and Brazilian children. This article appeared originally in Portuguese in Revista Sem Terra.
Trackbacks (0) TrackBack URI for this entry
Comments (14) >> feed
Racism?
written by A brazilian, 2006-11-27 04:27:40

The writer writes this:

"condemned to years of dispersion and miscegenation"

I take personal offense on that. I am brazilian and of mixed origins. That's not BAD! Why do some people lately seem so eager to replicate some racially segregated society in here!? With so many good things to copy from Europe or the US why do some choose RACISM? What so special about racial purity? Why do some blacks behave like Nazis?

First, no, this country is not racist. You want to know what is racist? Then go to Europe and see how "well treated" you will be, look around and try to see if you find any people of mixed origins.

Second, this country is formed by peoples of all around the world. I don't think the african influence should be considered better than any others.

Third, I can't help but think that this "African Nazism" follow the same pattern of the neo nazis in lots of other places. Hate groups recruiting young people in the lower classes, people that think they were forgotten or are being treated unfairly, that are told that none of that is their fault because there's an "evil conspiracy" of jews, hispanics, whites, blacks, gipsies, gays, etc (or whatever other group is convenient), for keeping them down. Alienated kids being lied to and used as pawns in some power game.

Denying miscigenation is denying the very thing Brazil is. Slowly this nonsense of race is being exterminated in here, something very different from the binary black/white of the United States and Europe, and now some people want to destroy it! I simply don't get it! What do those people in their minds for Christ's sake!?

Sickening
written by A brazilian, 2006-11-27 08:20:35

"largest black nation"

Wow, now we are a "black nation". I am starting to get disgusted by such racists recently, pretending to speak on behalf of Brazil and of brazilians. This a offense to the brazilian culture, a complete disregard to all other peoples that came here to build a better life, and to the ones that were here already.

Strong Reactions
written by An America who has lived in Brazil, 2006-11-27 09:33:35

The hierarchy of race in the Americas and in Europe is the problem. The result of colonialism, slavery and indigenous exploitation as well as theories of superiority created a world that is already skewedWhy is European heritage so strongly valued, why is white or light skin so cherished? Why is it not strange to have entire NOVELAS about the Italian heritage or Portuguese heritage of Brazil and anything Black or African is seen as Nazi or Racist or portrayed in a negative light? Brazil and many other countries continue to ignore the roots which come from Africa - why? Because deep inside people are embarrassed of their blackness (not their white ancestry). It is just time for a change in point of view. Not putting one race ahead of another but learning to appreciate and accept the contribution of African peoples to a wonderful country like Brazil. And yes it would be good if more research on the African and indigenous peoples' contributions were made known because it is racist to see these groups as just dancing, slavery, costumes and caciques and not as intellectual or skilled people who made Brazil what it is today. Since when have Germans, Italians, Portuguese (even the British) been ignored in Brazilian history? Have Syrian or Lebanese peoples been ignored? Even the Japanese people (though not treated as well in the past) have strong representation in Sao Paulo. One day some friends and I passed the Syrian/Lebanese Hospital in Sao Paulo. I asked if there was an Angolan Hospital and they all started laughing - saying that was ridiculous. Why is that so strange? There are Spanish and Portuguese Hospitals... I dont understand why some things are acceptable and others are not. Until this changes, not just in Brazil but all over the Americas and Europe, we will never reach out full potential as multi-cultural nations. Have a really good day.

written by An African American, 2006-11-27 11:47:50

I am in complete agreement with the author. I am speaking as an American however I have done significant research on the African Diaspora and the impact of slavery on the Americas. When you look at the sheer numbers, more Africans were sold into slavery in Brazil than all the countries combined and it was the last country to abolish slavery.

At the core of what Mr. Dirce Carrion is arguing is that lack of education has taught Brazilians of African descent that all things European are good, but those things that symbolize African culture is not worthy of respect. Starting with the racism people experience because of the complexion of their skin or the privilege they experience because their heritage is mixed and skin is lighter – at the core of those values is that white is good and black is bad. This overt system of white superiority has set up deeply rooted beliefs in Africans throughout the Diaspora to embrace everything other than their African heritage hence why black women straiten their hair, use creams to lighten their skin and the icons of black beauty continue to be women who look the least African. Plain and simple to deny your ancestry is a form of self hatred.

I commend the project for wanting to help build a positive self image for children – the global future for descendants of people of Africa. To know your heritage and respect it gives you a sense of pride about your origins. In doing so it enables one to not only love who they are but respect other cultures.

Do your schools teach the history of slavery and profound impact African culture has made on cultures around the world in a way that you respect it?

There is a worldwide movement to tell the history and it must begin with the children. We salute your efforts to help educate the children so that future generations will embrace their heritage giving them the confidence and the courage to achieve.

May the peace be with you always

Revenir en haut Aller en bas
https://vuesdumonde.forumactif.com/
Partager cet article sur : reddit

Slavery Is Past. It's Time Brazil and Africa Unite in Mutual :: Commentaires

written by Beverly Kearse, 2006-11-27 13:18:46

Why wouldn't any people want to know, understand, and celebrate all they are?! The damage done by the slave trade runs deep and will continue to affect generations to come. Unless people are educated about who they are, and the possiblities for their lives; the damage continues. It is easy for people to dismiss the pain of slavery if they do not walk around in today's world wearing a face damaged by slavery.

Acceptance?
written by A brazilian, 2006-11-27 13:40:07

I disagree with your notion of "acceptance". African culture is recognized everywhere, more than I would like to by the way because I hate dancing and think their religions are primitive. Their religions are relics from an era where men were superstitious and didn't know how nature works. It would nice to see it in books just like the greeks and their gods, but not in some street in the 21st century! This is just sad.

We can see it in our daily lives not only in dances and things like Carnaval, but in religion, food, etc. If you really know Brazil you know "feijoada", "capoeira", "samba", "candomblé", those are just a few things of African origins that are common to any brazilian, of any race. Many of those things are considered genuinely brazilian and not some foreigner stuff. Anyone that has lived in here knows that. It's not hidden is some guetho, it's right on everyone's face. We cannot say the same about the US or Europe, can we?

It's common to see white people in candomblé rituals? Why? Why would it be even tolerated if it's regarded as "inferior"?

I think any culture that wishes to be respected must produce beautiful things, so we can be proud of. What exactly have the african culture produced? I am not saying that there isn't anything, I am saying you should show it off if you wish to be respected. Right now all I see is some international hate groups trying to kill the very thing that makes a Brazil of Brazil, and you won't find anywhere else in the world. You won't rest until you transform this country in some version of the Palestine.

This charge against miscegenation is a pure Nazi power game, more hate and more blacks equals more votes that equals more influence and money that equals more power. That's why in the US race is strictly binary, that's convenient for the governing elites, easier to handle and easier to control.

For the racist comment above, if everything that black is bad why is it so common to see white women and black men in here? Can you explain this phenomenon? Is it some sort of "white people's conspiracy" for taking the "blackness" off the blacks? It's not like those black men want it, they are obviously being forced to give up their blackitude, aren't they?

As a brazilian I praise beautiful things, and this recent wave of racism is definetely not beautiful. Miscegenation is the present and the future, now there's no way back.

Damage? The myth of invention of Brazil
written by A brazilian, 2006-11-27 14:36:09

Who the hell these gringos think they are to tell others who they are and who they aren't.

You should read the "Antropophagic Manifesto" and get a hint of what "race" is for us. That would be very educational for you all. This victim mindset of americans really don't go well with cannibals like us.

The myth is just the story the portuguese bishop Sardinha that came to Brazil early after the "discovery". The ship he was in sunk but he managed to survive. He ended in a beach but there were some indians there. They were cannibals. In such societies they don't eat enemies for food, but for religious beliefs, they believe that by eating powerful enemies they will absorb their strength.

So guess what? The bishop Sardinha, a representative of the mighty people of Portugal was eaten by those cannibals. That's kind of a metaphor for Brazil and brazilians. We assimilate stuff in us, both culturally and genetically, not just keep it segregated in guettos like in the US or Europe.

The genius of this thinking is that the colonizer/victim roles were inverted. The indians have eaten Portugal! That's us! Eating other cultures!

So this Nazi thing is a kind of new civilizatory effort untertaken by the "powers that be" to bring "civilization to us cannibals? Listen I have white, black and indian blood and I am proud of it and proud of achieving what no other people of this Earth was capable of, living together without killing each other. So, Nazis, do you want to know who I am? I am a cannibal, just like in the myth.

written by Robbie, 2006-11-27 18:33:21

Interesting that no translation is given for Olhares Cruzados. The translator wouldn´t touch that one with a ten-foot pole. How do you think all the cross-eyed people will feel about this infelicitous choice of words? Insensitivity can take various forms....

Yawnnnnnnn!
written by Costinha, 2006-11-27 19:30:43

I'm bored!

Strange !
written by ch.c., 2006-11-27 22:42:49

1) Brazil was the nation that imported the most slaves.
2) Those who imported these slaves were Brazilians : your own grand-grandfathers, even if they emigrated from Portugal.
3) Portugal is not Europe, but only a small part of it.
4) Brazil was tha last country who changed their constitution on slavery.
5) While you changed your constitution over 100 years ago, the change was only on paper because you still have Today slaves
"employed and used " by Brazilians, not foreigners !
6) The Africans legally in Europe or America even without a European/American passport are well treated, much better than your own black citizens WITH a Brazilian passport.

And to the attention of An African American : if you have done some research, you probably found out that millions of
Africans have been ORIGINALLY SOLD IN AFRICA, ....by no one else than the African Chiefs Tribes......!
That doesnt make the White " buyers" Less Guilty, but the Black "sellers".......As Much Guilty !
This has not yet been fully acknowledged by the whole black community.

RE: An American
written by e harmony, 2006-11-27 23:51:37

The hierarchy of race in the Americas and in Europe is the problem. The result of colonialism, slavery and indigenous exploitation as well as theories of superiority created a world that is already skewedWhy is European heritage so strongly valued, why is white or light skin so cherished? Why is it not strange to have entire NOVELAS about the Italian heritage or Portuguese heritage of Brazil and anything Black or African is seen as Nazi or Racist or portrayed in a negative light? Brazil and many other countries continue to ignore the roots which come from Africa - why? Because deep inside people are embarrassed of their blackness (not their white ancestry). It is just time for a change in point of view. Not putting one race ahead of another but learning to appreciate and accept the contribution of African peoples to a wonderful country like Brazil. And yes it would be good if more research on the African and indigenous peoples' contributions were made known because it is racist to see these groups as just dancing, slavery, costumes and caciques and not as intellectual or skilled people who made Brazil what it is today. Since when have Germans, Italians, Portuguese (even the British) been ignored in Brazilian history? Have Syrian or Lebanese peoples been ignored? Even the Japanese people (though not treated as well in the past) have strong representation in Sao Paulo. One day some friends and I passed the Syrian/Lebanese Hospital in Sao Paulo. I asked if there was an Angolan Hospital and they all started laughing - saying that was ridiculous. Why is that so strange? There are Spanish and Portuguese Hospitals... I dont understand why some things are acceptable and others are not. Until this changes, not just in Brazil but all over the Americas and Europe, we will never reach out full potential as multi-cultural nations. Have a really good day.

Is your issue with the artistic and aesthetic expressions found in visual symbolic languages of wealth such as the exterior of a hospital or bank and its name, or is your issue with raw economic that construct such banks and to which certain ethnic and cultural groups with said resources place such names on exterior buildings? Because - and not to be mean in any way - I find many, and especially those of Black American decent, judge and make assumptions based on visual forms and really care little to go deeper into raw economics or how to obtain economic power in terms of business enterprise.

The first question I would have to ask id who financed these hospitals if it has a Lebanese name or title or Catholic name or title? For example many Black non-denominational churches in the United States are in rag-tag store fronts, in contrast to some of the large Catholic basilicas in the United States European immigrants traditionally worshiped in. When one takes care to find out of said basilicas were financed it was often through poor immigrants putting up the money collectively and or through bank loans the parish took out. The visual aesthetics might lead one to believe "racism" between such architectual differences in religious buildings and their symbolic language of wealth, but the underlying economic collaboration resulting either has little to nothing to do with racism.

furthermore.......
written by ch.c., 2006-11-27 23:57:28

.....how strange it is that Europeans, Americans, Brazilians and Chineses are "suddenly" so eager to become friendly with Angola since major oil deposits have been found there and already started production. While for decades no one cared for them when commodities prices were much lower, suddenly they are our brothers !
The same could be said with Mozambique, Nigeria, Congo having so much oil or ferrous and non ferrous metals, meaning profits for the new "friends" !

But who really cares, so far, for Benin, Togo, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Namibia, just to name a few ?
Are they NOT AFRICANS LIKE the other Africans ? Are they worth nothing...because WE have not yet discovered
wealth there ???

History just repeat itself, but this time 2 more actors entered the movie : China and Brazil.
Dont quote me badly, they are right, but then they cant accuse the developed countries since they just started doing exactly the same ! Sadly enough, this time even the non whites in America, Europe and Brazil AGREE ¨

Stupid question : what will the blacks african and non african descendants say..... in 50 years ?

In my view they will say exactly what all Brazilians and Africans are saying today :" richer nations (whoever they are, but this time China and Brazil included) depleted and have stolen our country wealth". I can easily think that they will say :" Look today, year 2056 oil is at US$ 600 per barrel and richer nations paid us only US$ 60.- in 2006, and worse, now in 2056 we have only 40 % of our 2006 reserves !!!!!!!!!!

While the reality is that oil producing countries are happy to have their oil sold at today price of US$ 60.-, just as they were happy 50 years ago when oil was at US$ 4.- per barrel or whatever !!!!! The same could be said for every commodity and/or salaries, income.

At the end, supply and demand will always dictate the price. Opec tried to corner the oil market for decades, without success just the same when Brazil tried to dictate the price of coffee for decades !
Buyers always try to buy low and sellers always try to sell high. But the correct price is the one the buyer and the seller signed. That is what Trade is !

written by e harmony, 2006-11-28 00:10:11

written by An African American, 2006-11-27 11:47:50

I am in complete agreement with the author. I am speaking as an American however I have done significant research on the African Diaspora and the impact of slavery on the Americas. When you look at the sheer numbers, more Africans were sold into slavery in Brazil than all the countries combined and it was the last country to abolish slavery.

At the core of what Mr. Dirce Carrion is arguing is that lack of education has taught Brazilians of African descent that all things European are good, but those things that symbolize African culture is not worthy of respect. Starting with the racism people experience because of the complexion of their skin or the privilege they experience because their heritage is mixed and skin is lighter – at the core of those values is that white is good and black is bad. This overt system of white superiority has set up deeply rooted beliefs in Africans throughout the Diaspora to embrace everything other than their African heritage hence why black women straiten their hair, use creams to lighten their skin and the icons of black beauty continue to be women who look the least African. Plain and simple to deny your ancestry is a form of self hatred.

From my reading on Brazil much of what you say is untrue. Dare I say Bahia's culture grants more respect to African religious origins than what you will find in many parts of the African continent today. It is true however, from my reading, that Brazilians associate blackness with poverty and lack of education, therefore there exists elements of racism in Brazil because prejudices and negative connotations are correlated to darker skin color. But the issue is much more complex I'm convinced after doing more and more reading on Brazil. In many ways Carnival gives some sociological insight into the blending and harmonizing in Brazil of what seems to be contrasting things - take race out of it and the transsexual with light brown skin and curly hair epitomizes this with her crucifix around neck and lighting of Candomble candles. Put race back into it and you Brazilians that are mixed with Amerindian, Japanese, and African and European... so to what exactly are they as they listen to Bosa Nova and speak portuguese and admire the qualities of a woman as her back is turned rather than looking at the peaks of her breasts?

Brazil is Brazil and has as much right to her identity as Hutu feel to their's in Rwanda or the Husa in Nigeria or the Portuguese on Portugal or Black Americans in Black America. What I'm suggesting is the Brazilian can figure out who they are as a people - historical experience and all - without the self-righteous pontifications from gringos.

---
---

Having said that I support the authors (of the article) intent to build better bridges between countries in Africa and Brazil. I think it it is an outstanding idea and I with my best wishes hope it works out well.

written by e harmony, 2006-11-28 00:16:41

Strange !
written by ch.c., 2006-11-27 22:42:49

4) Brazil was tha last country who changed their constitution on slavery.
5) While you changed your constitution over 100 years ago, the change was only on paper because you still have Today slaves
"employed and used " by Brazilians, not foreigners !

What, did you come out of a cartoon?

Ethiopia did not end slavery officially until the 1920's so no... Brazil was not the last country on earth to end slavery. Secondly, slavery ending in the United States remained for decades more a matter of official paper work but in fact was de facto in effect in the southern fields of the south. Even today some immigrants are found to be kept as slaves in the U.S.

http://www.brazzil.com/content/view/9747/78/

Slavery Is Past. It's Time Brazil and Africa Unite in Mutual

Page 1 sur 1