MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE

Vues Du Monde : ce Forum MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE est lieu d'échange, d'apprentissage et d'ouverture sur le monde.IL EXISTE MILLE MANIÈRES DE MENTIR, MAIS UNE SEULE DE DIRE LA VÉRITÉ.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  GalerieGalerie  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Derniers sujets
Marque-page social
Marque-page social reddit      

Conservez et partagez l'adresse de MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE sur votre site de social bookmarking
QUOI DE NEUF SUR NOTRE PLANETE
LA FRANCE NON RECONNAISSANTE
Ephémerides
Le Deal du moment : -50%
-50% Baskets Nike Air Huarache Runner
Voir le deal
69.99 €

Muscle Revolution

AuteurMessage
mihou
Rang: Administrateur
mihou

Muscle Revolution Empty
MessageMuscle Revolution

Muscle Revolution
An interview with Chad Waterbury
by Chris Shugart

I attended a big weight training symposium in Canada back in 2001. After one of the presentations, I was approached by a big guy who shook my hand and told me how much he'd like to write for Testosterone Nation.

Nothing new there. Every time we attend such events, TC and I are dog-piled by wannabe contributors. This guy was no different, or so I thought. I took his card, told him how to submit an article, and promptly forgot about him.

But just a few days later, the big dude sent TC an article — a simple piece on grip training — and we published it. Now it's five years later, and the big fella, Chad Waterbury, has taken the weight training community by storm. His T-Nation articles (dozens of them by now) and his new book, Muscle Revolution, are just that: revolutionary.

We were finally able to catch Waterbury sitting still for a few minutes and shot him some questions about his unique training methodologies and his new book.

T-Nation: There's a page in your new book that says in big letters "Performance First." Long story short, why performance first?

Chad Waterbury: The short answer is homeostasis. The human body is an organism that constantly seeks to maintain homeostasis. Since the body basically wants to stay the same, you've got to force it to change.

One of the best ways to force the body to change is by forcing it to constantly do more work — increase performance, if you will. And the best ways I've found to instill and monitor better performance techniques are with the progression methods I outline in Muscle Revolution.

I start off the book with that chapter because I feel that the effort to improve one's performance is probably the surest, albeit least understood way to get results. Most people only associate increased performance with lifting ever-heavier loads. While it's certainly true that adding ten pounds to a lift is progress, I feel it's important to outline many other methods that can, and should, be used.

The set progression is one example. If a person does five sets of five repetitions with his bodyweight for one workout, and then does six sets of five repetitions the next workout with his bodyweight, that's real progress. The set progression is an intuitively simple progression method that isn't used nearly enough. You always see coaches telling people to lift a heavier load or do more reps, but rarely do you see a set progression.

I advocate the set progression in many different circumstances because it's one of the least fatiguing methods to increase performance. You're using the same load, the same reps, but you're adding one more set. It's a simple progression that yields big results. I'd like to enter the mathematical universe to establish my point.

T-Nation: Go for it.

Chad Waterbury: Let's say a guy weighs 200 pounds. And let's say he did five sets of five chin-ups with his bodyweight. We can measure the volume of that upper back workout by multiplying the load (his bodyweight) by total reps. In this case, the load is 200 pounds and total reps equal 25. So the training volume is 200 x 25 and that equals 5000 pounds.

Now if he simply adds one more set to his next chin-up workout, it changes his training volume to 200 x 30, and that equals 6000 pounds. Specifically, it augments his training volume by 1000 pounds. That's real progress!

Not only is the set progression an effective and easily measurable progression method, but it's also psychological artifice. When I tell an athlete that his workout is going to consist of the same movements, load, and reps as the last workout, he immediately thinks the workout is going to be a cakewalk.

But the set progression is just one of five progression methods that I outline in the book. I explain how, why, and when all five should be used.

T-Nation: Your book also promises to show lifters where they've been going wrong in the gym. Give us a couple examples of where people wanting to build muscle are messing up in their training?

Chad Waterbury: The first thing people often screw up is what I already mentioned: organized progression. Basically, they don't have an effective, measurable progression plan in place.

You'll get nowhere unless you constantly force your body to do what it isn't used to doing. And you'll never know if you're progressing unless you have an easily measured system to quantify your data.

The second thing people often screw up is their movement selection. If you want to build big, strong triceps, and if you spend your time performing kickbacks instead of dips, your efforts are going to prove futile.

Were every lifter in this country forced to do only compound movements, we'd have a lot more muscle out there. One reason is because compound movements make isolating a body part damn near impossible. The close-grip chin-up is one of the best biceps builders, but it also challenges your forearms and upper back. I'll never understand why a guy wouldn't want to build his forearms and upper back while he's training his biceps.

In addition, people are often surprised by how many additional muscle groups are recruited with free-weight, compound movements like chins. Case in point: a guy came to me for a consultation and a workout. He wanted to improve his upper body size, and he was one of those guys who always wanted to be sore after training. He said he wanted me to make his abs sore, for whatever inane reason. So I decided to humor him. I had him perform eight sets of three rep chin-ups with a heavy dumbbell between his feet.

Not exactly what most trainers would do to instill abdominal soreness, right? The next day he said he never felt such deep soreness in his abs. My point is that compound, free weight movements will always recruit and develop more muscles than single joint isolation movements.

But I don't want to turn this into an all-or-nothing issue. Single joint movements play an integral role in many programs. So in Muscle Revolution I help people understand why certain single joint movements are better than others. And this same information carries over to compound movements, too.

The third thing people screw up is that they don't change their workouts often enough. I understand their dilemma because it's difficult to measure progress if you never repeat the same workout, but static parameters have really been taken too far. Specifically, I don't think people change their rep schemes often enough.

Fast-twitch individuals hate high rep work, and slow-twitch guys hate maximal strength work. But it's important to understand that both camps can benefit from doing the rep schemes that they might have an aversion to.

When I make a fast-twitch guy switch from, say, five reps per set to twelve reps per set, hypertrophy often ensues because he must force his muscles to work longer than they were accustomed to.

And when I make a slow-twitch guy perform maximal strength work, his endurance performance is often enhanced because he can better recruit his motor units, and he usually gains muscle because he's tapped into the high threshold motor units.

There are many more things people often mess up, and I discuss them in my book. But the three aforementioned issues are definitely at the top of the list.

T-Nation: Here's a controversial question for you: Can an experienced lifter really build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Chad Waterbury: That's an excellent, albeit polarizing question. Many coaches say that you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Their reasoning usually goes something like this: you need a caloric surplus to build muscle but you need a caloric deficit to lose fat, and since you can't have a surplus and a deficit at the same time it's postulated that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

My position is that the answer probably isn't as elementary as merely looking at it from a surplus verses deficit standpoint. It's likely that other complex processes such as the production of mechano-growth factor (MGF), IGF-1, and insulin fluctuations determine whether a person can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

MGF is derived from IGF-1 and it's expressed in muscles that have been mechanically overloaded: resistance training. Some people might express more MGF than others, and some types of training might produce more MGF than others — we honestly don't know at this point. My postulate, however, is that High Frequency Training (HFT) results in the highest production of MGF. But I don't want to get off on that tangent at this juncture.

From an endocrine standpoint, growth hormone induces both muscle growth and fat loss. So there is a hormone that can do both at the same time. But as many athletes and bodybuilders now know, growth hormone injections rarely end up being worth the effort and expense. So the answer probably isn't as simple as merely focusing on growth hormone.

The answer probably lies in the hormones that are expressed further down the line when skeletal muscles are overloaded — MGF being one that's surfaced over the last few years. There's no doubt that many more will emerge.

Certain real-world observations seem to demonstrate that people can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. When my buddy went to boot camp he was a fat slob. Over the course of basic training, he lost 20 pounds of fat. But what's interesting is that his pectorals, calves, and forearms all grew!

Importantly, this wasn't a smoke-and-mirrors effect such is the case when someone loses fat and his muscles look bigger because he's more ripped. My buddy's muscles were measurably bigger than when he entered boot camp! And this was in the face of losing 20 pounds.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
https://vuesdumonde.forumactif.com/
Partager cet article sur : reddit

Muscle Revolution :: Commentaires

mihou
Re: Muscle Revolution
Message Ven 1 Déc - 22:00 par mihou
Now, everyone knows that basic training is probably the most catabolic event ever created, so how was my buddy able to build bigger muscles? Did his body respond to the shock of daily running by producing more MGF in his calf muscles? Or was he fluctuating between a caloric surplus and deficit in the face of constantly changing activity levels?

And if he was in a caloric surplus on some days, how did he still manage to lose 20 pounds of fat in such a short time period? I don't know, but I think it proves that we have much more to figure out before we can say that muscle growth and fat loss can or can't occur in synchrony.

Chris, your Velocity Diet has produced some of the fastest fat loss that the fitness industry has ever seen. And I bet as more data is compiled, it'll be shown that some people gain muscle on the plan. Maybe they gain muscle because of a more effective resistance training plan? Or maybe they gain muscle because of increased protein intake?

Based on the simplistic surplus verses deficit relationship, no one should be able to gain muscle on the Velocity Diet because they spend an entire month in a caloric deficit. But I bet many do. How do we explain that?

Anyway, back to my book. With all that being said, whether or not you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time is a moot point. If you want to do both, it's simply better to alternate between periods of a caloric surplus and a caloric deficit. The eating plans for fat loss and muscle gain in Muscle Revolution focus on alternating between surplus and deficit periods.

But the fact that I prescribe surplus and deficit periods might not seem immediately obvious when people read Muscle Revolution because the book doesn't prescribe eating plans with fluctuating calories throughout the week. Instead, a person's activity levels will determine whether he's in a deficit or surplus. On his off days he'll be in a surplus; on his training days he'll be in a deficit.

Some coaches organize their client's eating plan so the surplus is on the training day and the deficit is on the off day. I've found that either approach can work. When I wrote the book I tried to make things as easy as possible for people, so I chose an eating plan with unchanging calories.

T-Nation: Who's the hot babe demonstrating some of the exercises in your book? How about the tough-looking tattooed guy?

Chad Waterbury: The female model I used for Muscle Revolution is known as "AG1" on the T-Nation forums. She hired me early in 2006 to prepare her for a figure competition, which she ended up winning.

I used her as my female model for two reasons. First, Muscle Revolution was written for the T-Nation audience. Since many people are familiar with Angela, I thought she was a good choice. Second, I think she portrays a figure that many other females can strive for. I didn't want a chick with 18" arms that was sportin' a mustache and wallet chain.

The big, ripped guy on the cover and throughout the book is Nick. He consults me for his training and I think he portrays a look that many guys can strive for. He has excellent proportions and he maintains 7-8% body fat all year long — and he's completely natural.

Most of the guys who I train want Nick's look, but I know many out there who consider him to be too small. Personally, I think he's got an awesome look. But, of course, I'm biased on that issue.

The third male model I use appeals to the fringe market. You know, the Men's Health cover model look.

T-Nation: Okay, if someone adopts Muscle Revolution as their training bible for the next year, what kind of gains do you expect them to make?

Chad Waterbury: The best gains of his or her life, of course!

I like the fact that you mentioned a year. One of the cool things about Muscle Revolution is that I outline year-long plans for virtually any goal. And this isn't some cookie-cutter plan that caters to all markets. I break up my plans into beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

From there, I further break down the plans so they match whatever goal a person is after. For example, the year-long plan for an intermediate lifter who primarily wants to build maximal strength with a secondary emphasis on hypertrophy is completely different from the year-long plan for a beginner who wants to lose fat and gain muscle.

Every program includes a template that can be copied. For instance, if you want to follow my Art of Waterbury program, all you need to do is copy off the template and take it to the gym.

Speaking of workouts, Muscle Revolution unveils my unreleased strength and muscle-building program titled the "Total Strength Program" (TSP). It's a 12-week program that builds maximal strength and bigger muscles by focusing on developing the three powerlifts: the squat, the deadlift, and the bench press. TSP is a novel system that separates the powerlifts into different phases of each lift.

Let's use the deadlift for example. If a lifter spends one workout building the starting portion of the lift, and another workout building the lockout, he'll be able to train the lift more often without overtraining.

Not only that, but TSP also coalesces many strength training tricks and methods into each phase. First is the supramaximal hold that induces a neuromuscular phenomenon called postactivation potentiation. Second is speed- and explosive-strength training. Third are recovery techniques that also enhance hypertrophy and muscular endurance. TSP is one of my most novel and effective programs to date.

With regard to your question about what kind of gains a person can expect when he or she buys Muscle Revolution, that's difficult to quantitatively answer. How much muscle you can gain is dependent on how big your frame is.

For example, a tall, slender guy who follows my year-long training and nutrition guidelines could put on 30 pounds of muscle in a year; however, a five foot tall female would be doing well to get half that much muscle. But as I alluded to in my opening response, a person will achieve the best results of his or her life from this book if the info is adhered to.

Muscle Revolution is a complete information source that covers program design, strength science, nutrition, posture, flexibility, fatigue management, the Total Strength Program, and much more. It's a big ol' 300 page, full-color tome.

T-Nation: Now, as you mentioned, Muscle Revolution doesn't leave nutrition out. What's your general philosophy there? Let's get some more detail.

Chad Waterbury: There's a ton of nutritional information in the book. In fact, it's one of the longest chapters. I had a lot to say in the nutritional chapter because I haven't touched on the topic much in my T-Nation articles.

Without giving away too much information, I'll say that I usually prefer a balance of carbs, protein, and fat at each meal. For example, one of the most effective eating plans I've ever used with my clients is the 33/33/33 plan. So if you consume 2100 calories each day, you'll take in 700 calories from carbs, protein, and fat. And this ratio continues for every meal from dawn to dusk, with the exception being pre- and post-workout nutrition.

Thanks to the outstanding writings of Drs. Berardi and Lowery, many people avoid carbs in the evening. I think that approach works, but I generally like my clients to have some slow-digesting carbs before bed. The reason is because sleep is usually the most catabolic portion of a 24-hour period. And since carbs are protein sparing, I think they're beneficial before bed to accelerate recovery and preserve or gain muscle mass. That being said, I've found the 33/33/33 ratio to be ideal for many people who want to gain muscle and lose fat.

Now, we all know that nothing works for everyone. So I tell people how to manipulate their macronutrient ratios if they aren't getting the results they're after. As many coaches have learned, carbohydrates are tricky bastards. Therefore, I have people manipulate their carbohydrates first, calories second if they want to lose fat while gaining or maintaining muscle mass.

After I outline how people should manipulate macronutrient ratios and calories, I tell them what foods their eating plans should revolve around and what foods to avoid.

Finally, I outline dosage recommendations for my top-rated supplements. Each recommendation corresponds with a specific body weight range so it's not over-generalized, generic information like many mainstream fitness books. I wrote Muscle Revolution to be specific to each goal, fitness level, and available training time.

T-Nation: I've previewed the book and can vouch for its content and quality. I'd go as far as to say that it's one of the most important, complete books I've ever read about building a better body. The info is top-notch and so is the book itself. Nice work there!

Chad Waterbury: I'm very proud of Muscle Revolution. It was definitely a long labor of love to write it. I wanted to create a high-quality, novel information source to help people build a high-performance physique with bigger, stronger muscles.

And you're right: the actual book is beautiful, too. The printing, paper, and photography are of the highest quality. And Lou Schuler edited it, so you know it's an entertaining read that builds on itself with each subsequent chapter.

I hope T-Nation loves the book, because it was written for them.

© 1998 — 2006 Testosterone, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1353217

Muscle Revolution

Page 1 sur 1