MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE

Vues Du Monde : ce Forum MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE est lieu d'échange, d'apprentissage et d'ouverture sur le monde.IL EXISTE MILLE MANIÈRES DE MENTIR, MAIS UNE SEULE DE DIRE LA VÉRITÉ.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  GalerieGalerie  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Derniers sujets
Marque-page social
Marque-page social reddit      

Conservez et partagez l'adresse de MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE sur votre site de social bookmarking
QUOI DE NEUF SUR NOTRE PLANETE
LA FRANCE NON RECONNAISSANTE
Ephémerides
Le Deal du moment : -14%
Apple MacBook Air (2020) 13,3″ Puce Apple M1 ...
Voir le deal
799 €

Sleep: How Much Is Enough?

AuteurMessage
mihou
Rang: Administrateur
mihou

Sleep: How Much Is Enough? Empty
MessageSleep: How Much Is Enough?

Posted by David Neubauer, M.D.
on Sat, Oct 08, 2005, 10:24 pm PDT
Post a Comment

How much sleep is enough?

The best answer is that you need enough sleep at night to feel fully refreshed and alert the following day. For most people

that's about 8 hours, more or less. Research studies have shown that when people are given ample opportunity to be in bed in

the dark, they sleep longer than 9 hours at first but eventually level off at about 8 hours and 15 minutes. However, the

average adult in our society gets only about 6-1/2 hours of sleep, and many sleep only 5 to 6 hours.

Why? Because they don't allow enough time in bed for sleep. If you need an alarm clock to wake you up in the morning, you

probably aren't getting enough sleep. You shouldn't have to depend on caffeine to be fully alert. We seem to have a cultural

bias against sleep. Many people think of sleep as a waste of time. They spend time they should be sleeping doing just about

anything else. Work schedules intrude on our sleep time. Temptations -- cable TV, the Internet, and 24-hour stores -- lure us

from going to bed.

Patients tell me they don't let themselves fall asleep unless they absolutely can't stay awake another moment. Until then, they

may lie in bed, clicking through TV channels with the remote control, looking for anything that might hold their interest for a

moment. They could have fallen asleep much earlier but have ignored the subtle cues of sleepiness that have been evolving

over the previous hour or two. The next morning they drag themselves out of bed. Then, during day, especially in the early to

mid-afternoon hours, they will suffer from the effects of insufficient sleep.

I'm always hearing, "I don't have time to get more sleep." Everyone complains of having too much to do and that going to bed

late or getting up too early is essential. But insufficient sleep can have serious consequences. Inadequate nighttime sleep can

lead to daytime sleepiness, fatigue, poor concentration and memory, and an increased risk of mistakes and accidents. Fatigue

is one of the most common causes of motor vehicle accidents and fatalities. Researchers also have shown that inadequate

sleep can increase one's appetite and promote weight gain.

I see some patients who are persistently sleepy during the day and worry that they might have a sleep disorder, such as sleep

apnea or narcolepsy. However, for many of them it is obvious that they're not spending enough time in bed. I try to convince

them to add an extra 30 to 60 minutes to their time in bed to give themselves more opportunity for sleep. Often, they are

surprised at how much better they feel when they wake up.

Are you too sleepy during the daytime? Are you nodding off during quiet moments? Take a close look at how much time you

are allowing for sleep. Research is increasingly confirming the health benefits of getting enough sleep.
Email this page IM to a friend Printable Page
Next Entry : Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Part 1
Previous Entry : Pregnancy and Antidepressants: The Case of Paxil

* Post a Comment
* Report Abuse

Join the discussion. Here you'll see the comments in the order they were posted.

o 1 - 15 of 154
o First
o < Previous
o Next >
o Last

I absolutely agree with you about sleep..but I think I'm afraid I'll miss something when I'm sleeping For me there are not

enough hours in a waking day. Problem...yes.
Posted by mandj1959 on Sat, Oct 08, 2005, 10:56 pm PDT
2 Post a Comment

I also feel that I may miss something whie I'm sleeping. I think that comes from the anxiety of feeling that there has to

be something more to life. Like waiting for something great to happen. I'd like to be awake for it and not SnOoZe through an

opportunity. I am the girl "that never sleeps" unless I just cant stay awake one more moment. When I do sleep a full night I

feel so much better physically and mentally... but what did I miss those 8 hours? ....
Posted by unhappilyinlove on Sat, Oct 08, 2005, 11:58 pm PDT
3 Post a Comment

The 'unhappilyinlove's comment is selfexplanatory as to her lack of sleep. When one is in love it is hard to sleep and if

unhappily, then..more so. Hope you're status changes from 'unhappily' to 'happily'in love.Sleep is all important to build

memory,for the growth of the brain in kids, for rejuvenation of tissues etc.etc. It is as important as food, for the body.If

you notice, babies who are well fed , sleep well and when they sleep well they are cheerful , healthy babies.
Posted by msticbeauty on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 12:10 am PDT
4 Post a Comment

Well im a college student, may classes think thats the only one im taking. Though its not and load homework, projects and

outside work that needs to be done. Though I would love to get more sleep. I only get about 5 hours a day. Though it may not

be enough, I try to make it up on the weekends. However homework and what come in to play. If we suppose to get that much

sleep then why do they give so much work all at once in college?
Posted by cherryloverose on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 12:42 am PDT
5 Post a Comment

i have always kept late hours.i sleep more in the day time i have always had these sleep patterns since i was a child.i lay

down in bed and i toss and turn and think about the events of the day.i only get about 4or5 hours a night i also drink alot of

caffeine and smoke too.
Posted by kls_1327 on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 12:57 am PDT
6 Post a Comment

I may get 8hr of sleep a day but unfortuntly it is not all at once. That is the part they forgot to add. One I work the

midnight shift and second I have a 2yr that only sleeps 3-4 hr at a time. To top it all off I'm also the lights sleeper in the

world. Talk about no rest for the weary
Posted by p3charmed_rn on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 1:07 am PDT
7 Post a Comment

I've struggled with narcolepsy all of life. It might be that I am always asleep. Someday, I will wake up and know this has

all been a dream. While I'm here, it might be a rough Winter for some of you folks. When Spring arrives and you are out of

food, the cattle will be producing newborns. If you can catch them within 3 days, you can tear the hide right off them and

eat them raw. The rest of you spoiled punks will be spinning your wheels, laughing it up with your hot-rods.
Posted by kyrgbj_j2ce on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 4:13 am PDT
8 Post a Comment

when i go to bed early im up at 2:00 am but if i don't go to bed when i'm tired then i get over tired and don't sleep at

any suggestions on what i could do?
Posted by poetlady1959@verizon.net on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 4:22 am PDT
9 Post a Comment

i try to go to sleep but until i take a sleep aid i can not go to sleep.i've laid in bed from 10:00 pm to 3:00 am trying to

sleep with out aid but my neck and shoulders become so tight that i have to get up and walk around to loosen them up.i wish i

could get off sleep aids but i don't sleep how.i've tryed a warm whirlpool bath that's doesn't help.
Posted by sharon_beck18 on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 5:12 am PDT
10 Post a Comment

Ever since I transferred schools from Grand Rapids, MI to the wonderful Upper Peninsula of Michigan... where I'm now

at in Marquette, MI ... I haven't had trouble sleeping. I get to bed between 10:30pm and Midnight which allows for anywhere

between 7.5 to 8.5 hours of sleep or more. I rarely wake up to my alarm clock anymore, instead my body just wakes me up

and I'm ready to start the day. There isn't pressure up here to be constantly doing something like there was in the city... it's

relaxing up here... and everything is just.. way better.
Posted by xksupremex on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 5:32 am PDT
11 Post a Comment

i am daytime sleeper.
Posted by pitafi_1 on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 5:39 am PDT
12 Post a Comment

I TRUELY LOVE MY SLEEP. I WOULD NOT CHANGE IT ID ALWAYS LOVED IT AS A CHILD. EVEN AS A TEENAGER

AND MORE AS I GOT OLDER.
Posted by ravenjoplin on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 9:24 am PDT
13 Post a Comment

I have no permanent sleep... sometimes, i get 4 to 6hrs only but last friday night was the greatest!! I slept around 5pm and

woke up the next day at 7am! Isnt great??? (i've saved them for a week, actually!)
Posted by drb145 on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 10:06 am PDT
14 Post a Comment

SLEEP........................ Let "YOURSELF" be defined and then go to define sleep,etc: Remember Science is created by MAN

and thus let it be created one but not the creating one. Play with science but never allow it to play with you. IF according to

"SCIENCE" good,sound sleep is necessary : NEVER TAKE IT GRANTED if YOU feel good,sound sleep is not necessary. TRY

TO DEPEND ON YOURSELF BUT NOT ON THE SCIENCE.
Posted by svsamrat on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 11:27 am PDT
15 Post a Comment

I think we don't only need a quantity sleep but a quality sleep as well. Lack of sleep is very dangerous, it affects our

lives and other peoples lives. For years I sleep 4-5 hrs because I feel that I'm making the most out of life when I'm awake

but that notion proves to be wrong....If you think have a sleep problem, seek a professional help the soonest than regret later.
Posted by aying_e on Sun, Oct 09, 2005, 11:41 am PDT
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
https://vuesdumonde.forumactif.com/
Partager cet article sur : reddit

Sleep: How Much Is Enough? :: Commentaires

Aucun commentaire.

Page 1 sur 1