MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE

Vues Du Monde : ce Forum MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE est lieu d'échange, d'apprentissage et d'ouverture sur le monde.IL EXISTE MILLE MANIÈRES DE MENTIR, MAIS UNE SEULE DE DIRE LA VÉRITÉ.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  GalerieGalerie  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Derniers sujets
Marque-page social
Marque-page social reddit      

Conservez et partagez l'adresse de MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GÉNÉRALE sur votre site de social bookmarking
QUOI DE NEUF SUR NOTRE PLANETE
LA FRANCE NON RECONNAISSANTE
Ephémerides
Le Deal du moment :
Nike : Jusqu’à 50% sur les articles de ...
Voir le deal

La turquie: mouton noir :opinions

AuteurMessage
mihou
Rang: Administrateur
mihou

La turquie: mouton noir :opinions Empty
MessageLa turquie: mouton noir :opinions

There was disappointment for Turkey at the EU Summit in Copenhagen after EU leaders decided it would have to wait at least two more years before it is invited to hold membership talks.
Turkey had been pressing for an immediate start to its negotiations on joining the EU.

At its Brussels summit in October, EU leaders said Turkey had not yet met the political criteria for membership, referring to continuing concern over human rights conditions in the country.

But Turkish leaders insist they have committed themselves to a raft of reforms that would meet all the EU's concerns.

Should Turkey be admitted to the EU? Has the country done enough to be granted membership?

If Turkey's application is refused simply because it is not considered to be part of Europe, then Cyprus must also be rejected on the same grounds. The EU can't have it both ways.
Paul, England

Turkey has been given every reason to believe that it will have the opportunity to enter the EU and although it isn't there yet, it is working towards the goal of meeting the EU's requirements. It has also been a loyal Nato ally. Should Turkey now be turned away, Europe will eventually rue the day when it made this disastrous and unfair choice.
Mark, USA

It also has a common history with Europe

Canan, USA
Although more than 90% of its population is Muslim, Turkey is a secular country where Muslims, Christians and Jews live in peace. It also has a common history with Europe as the Ottoman Empire had big influence on European politics for centuries. Turkey has got important trade relations as well as political relations with European countries. The fact that Turkey is as much Middle Eastern or Asian as it is European can only be seen as a positive input when considered part of Europe.
Canan, USA

Europe ends at Turkey. This is the European Union, not the Asian/European Union. Make an exception for Turkey, then Iran, liberated Iraq et al will apply, citing discrimination, because Turkey was admitted. For a club to be a club, it must have limited membership, otherwise it becomes symbolically and practically meaningless.
Robbo, UK

Admitting Turkey into what has so far been an exclusively Christian club will help to improve relations with the Middle East. So what if it isn't a 'European' country, what different does it make?
Duncan, UK

Forget about the economic, political, military or historic reasons, the majority of Turks including myself do not feel European. Likewise, the majority of Europeans do not see Turks as Europeans either. So why bother with the obvious fact that Turkey will probably never be admitted into the EU?
B. Sezgin, Australia

Turkish society wants to modernise itself and bury old animosities

D Dereli, Turkey
Turkey's desire to join the EU should be seen as a peace initiative that will promote world peace and human progress in the 21st Century. Our cultural goals are very clear. Turkish society wants to modernise itself and bury the old animosities between cultures. We want to promote peace and prosperity and a healthy respect for all intercultural cooperation. I feel that we will have no choice but to make a painful but necessary realignment in our political and economic priorities. As there will be no more sweet deals for European firms in Turkey, the Europeans should be very happy and very contented to concentrate on their own backyards.
D Dereli, Turkey

The EU should allow Turkey to join because it has access to a huge trade zone which includes the Middle East, Central Asia and Russia. Turkey has much in common with existing EU member states and ultimately our goal is to be a member of the developed and contemporary world.
Kemal Akyol, Turkey

I think that Turkey one day should be allowed to join the EU but not for a long time. I lived in Turkey for a while and when you're there it certainly does feel like an Asian country and does not feel European. They only want to join to be in line with other Western countries. If you ask any Turkish citizen they will say they want to join, but ask them why and they will probably give some answer to do with the economic benefits. I wish Turkey luck - they have a lot of hard work and they have a lot of changes to make.
Robbie, UK

If Turkey is not European because of its geography, where does that leave Malta and Cyprus (north and south) and for that matter what about Ireland and Britain. The rules and conditions for EU membership should be the same for existing members and applicant members, otherwise the whole thing just becomes a farce. In my opinion the benefits of having Turkey in the EU are the same as the reasons for not having them in the EU, as usual it is just a matter of perspective.
Simon Poile, UK

Turkey has to be told to make more fundamental reforms to qualify her for an EU membership

Alan Deelan, England
Before admitting Turkey to EU, countries in EU should thoroughly investigate human rights abuses, the treatment of Kurds and other races. In order to achieve verifications that Turkey is now more Europeanized an inspection team could be drawn from all EU countries to visit Turkey's prisons .Turkey has to be told to make more fundamental reforms to qualify her for an EU membership, which should not be granted after Turkey's cosmetic changes.
Alan Deelan, England

It's not that there is any anti-Turkish conspiracy in the EU but that Turkey has a long way to go before it fulfils the criteria for accession. Firstly it must withdraw its invasion and occupation forces from Cyprus (which is in violation of UN and EU law). Then it must address sound democratic principles. Namely that all political parties be allowed to stand in elections. At present all parties are vetted by the military. And thirdly its human rights abuses. When they have acted on this and not on sound bites then the EU can consider them and not before.
David, England

You must be naive to believe whatever the Turkish government is claiming about religion or any other sort of discriminatory procedures the EU is using against its entry. They still have a LONG way to go before they are even close to the EU requirements. Human rights is only one of the problems. That said, Turkey should probably try again in no less than 5 years.
Nicos, Cyprus

To allow Turkey to join the EU would be a terrible mistake, almost as bad as the recent expansion! Why not allow individual countries to have a referendum? Possibly those in Brussels are running scared of true public opinion within Europe and that is why they continue to make changes that are against the wishes of the public. How did we get into this mess?
DL London, UK

Turkey is European. Joining (or being excluded from EU) has nothing to do with European character. Any smart individual who read a little about any history would know how European Turkey is. US does not support Turkey because US needs Turkey for the Iraqi war. Turkey has been a reliable ally not just for US but for all of the western world as long as anyone can remember.
Jason Finley, US

If Turkey wants to be admitted in the EU, first and foremost it should improve its human rights record. Then, it should go on improving rights for the Kurdish minority, and further ensure complete freedom of expression, to the same degree as any EU nation. If Turkey declares that it should join the EU, without solving any of these problems, then the Turkish government must be dreaming.
Tae Kim, France

There are many good points here, but how can anyone say Turkey is not geographically part of Europe?? The large part of Turkey in Asia Minor may not be in Europe depending on your definition, but what about the other part? It is without doubt in mainland continental Europe. I was born on the European side of Istanbul, so geographically speaking, I am more European than anyone born in the UK, which certainly isn't part of mainland continental Europe.
Hakan Aysan, UK

Europe's hesitancy on Turkey's entry to the EU has little to do with it being a Muslim country. The U.S. is most in favour of its entry because it will gain all of the advantages; continued use of its vital bases and influence over its powerful military to protect its own regional interests. While Europe will have to deal with all of the immense problems and costs; a pseudo-democracy (the military always has the final say),widespread poverty, non-existent labour laws, appalling human rights record, state sponsored oppression of all cultural and religious minorities, continued illegal occupation of large parts of Cyprus etc..
Stephen Ellis, Australia

Turkey is not Europe, and anyone with a basic knowledge of history can see that.

George, France
There are no excuses nor reservations, the EU has made it very clear, Turkey is not Europe, and anyone with a basic knowledge of history can see that.
George, France

Turkey's human rights record is not wonderful, but then again there are other countries in Europe who think and preach to the world about human rights, when sometimes their own house is not in order. I believe Turkey is probably better off outside the Either have strong trade links with the USA and Asia. The EU is getting to large, and will create it's own bureaucratic downfall. So Turkey will benefit more outside Europe.
Rouan, UK

Turkey is not a European country

Ani, Canada
Turkey is not a European country. It has many human rights violations both on ethnic and religious levels (Kurdish massacre, Cyprus, Turkey's Christian minority). I was born in Istanbul (I am not of Turkish origin) and I used to see human rights violations on a daily basis. Turkey has no place in the EU. The EU should not be listening to the US. The US is pushing to get Turkey admitted to the EU for its own political needs.
Ani, Canada

Turkey has today rejected 2005 as a start date for entry to negotiations. Given that the EU still has plenty of work to do to manage the next enlargement due in May 2004, 2005 seems like a very generous offer to me. Does Turkey think it should be able to pick its own date for starting talks? If this is how Turkey behaves before talks have even started, what will the future hold if the country is admitted to the EU?
John, Brussels

Turkey should not be admitted to the EU until it corrects its human rights record and admits to its past atrocities of this century. Instead of spending so much money to be admitted to the EU, Turkey should release its jailed scholars, correct its economic problems, and become a responsible member of the community of nations.
Armen Panossian, USA

Shame on you if you believe that Turkey has no place in Europe! The fact that Muslims across Europe are discriminated against throughout Europe is a human rights breach in my eyes. I for one believe if talks are delayed (yet again), this could have dire effects on the patience of both the Turkish people and the politicians.
Temel Reis, UK

As far as I'm aware Turkey is not in Europe - it's part of Asia. Is the EU trying to alter natural boundaries?
Jim Heathly, Scotland

This is to Jim Heathly, Scotland: What natural boundaries divide Europe and Asia?
Anon,

As a Turk, I don't want Turkey to join the EU

Selami Zorlu, Turkey
As a Turk, I don't want Turkey to join the EU. We have good economic & social relations with all major powers in the arena: US, Russia, Europe, M.East, Islamic World... Why position ourselves politically & economically within a very tight set of European regulations? Why adopt the dying western culture and give up on our strongest institutions such as our family structure? Besides Europeans clearly don't want us. Why be in a club where the members will isolate us, discriminate against us, look down on us? All in all, we don't belong in Europe!
Selami Zorlu, Turkey

Turkey might have some problems but it cannot be ignored that Turkey is improving itself and willing to join the EU. It is obvious that Turkey is an important market for EU. Please note that Poland, Czech Republic and other countries that are entering EU received funds and got over their economical problems. This chance should be given to Turkey since they are improving the democratic aspects.
Isin, Germany
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
https://vuesdumonde.forumactif.com/
Partager cet article sur : reddit

La turquie: mouton noir :opinions :: Commentaires

Aucun commentaire.

La turquie: mouton noir :opinions

Page 1 sur 1