MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GENERALE

Ce Forum MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GENERALE est lieu d'échange, d'apprentissage et d'ouverture sur le monde.IL EXISTE MILLE MANIERES DE MENTIR, MAIS UNE SEULE DE DIRE LA VERITE.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  GalerieGalerie  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  Connexion  
Derniers sujets
Marque-page social
Marque-page social digg  Marque-page social delicious  Marque-page social reddit  Marque-page social stumbleupon  Marque-page social slashdot  Marque-page social yahoo  Marque-page social google  Marque-page social blogmarks  Marque-page social live      

Conservez et partagez l'adresse de MONDE-HISTOIRE-CULTURE GENERALE sur votre site de social bookmarking
MON BLOGUE-MY BLOG
QUOI DE NEUF SUR NOTRE PLANETE

LA FRANCE NON RECONNAISSANTE
Ephémerides

Partagez | 

Soul star James Brown dies at 73

AuteurMessage
mihou
Rang: Administrateur

MessageSujet: Soul star James Brown dies at 73   Lun 25 Déc - 9:38

Brown was "a gifted genius when it came to music", his agent said
James Brown in action
Singer James Brown, known as the "Godfather of Soul", has died at the age of 73, his agent has said.

He was admitted to hospital in Atlanta after being diagnosed with severe pneumonia but died at 0145 local time (0645 GMT), said Frank Copsidas.

The star was famous for hits including I Got You (I Feel Good), Papa's Got a Brand New Bag and Living in America.

"He is such an influence, I learned so much from him," Mr Copsidas told the BBC World Service.

He was dramatic to the end, dying on Christmas Day
Reverend Jesse Jackson

"On Friday he had his toy giveaway, which is his annual toy giveaway in Augusta, Georgia.

"On Saturday, he went to his dentist up in Atlanta, and his dentist told him something was wrong, and he sent him to a doctor immediately."

String of hits

Brown was born in 1933 in South Carolina.

He joined a gospel group as a young man after his release from jail for trying to steal a car.

Brown's songs have been widely sampled by other artists

He had his first hit on the US rhythm and blues chart, Please Please Please, in 1956.

Brown had 94 hits on Billboard's mainstream Hot 100 in the US, according to his official website, and by the end of his career, he had a repertoire of 800 songs.

However, he achieved only one top 10 single in the UK - Living in America, from the soundtrack of Rocky IV, which reached number five in 1986.

The star was credited with spreading the popularity of funk around the world, influencing a new generation of black music which spawned rap and hip-hop.

Brown, who had surgery for prostate cancer in 2004, appeared in London in October as part of the BBC's Electric Proms line-up.

Hall of Fame

At the time, he described how he planned to carry on as a performer, saying: "Everyone's got soul, whether it's talking, hip-hop, rap, gospel.

"I don't wanna change, because then I'd have to name myself Sam Smith or Ted Wright or somebody. I'm going to be James Brown."

Last month Brown played at a ceremony at London's Alexandra Palace which saw his induction into the UK Music Hall of Fame, 20 years after entering the US equivalent.

"He was dramatic to the end, dying on Christmas Day," said US civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, who has been a friend of Brown since 1955.

"He'll be all over the news all over the world today. He would have it no other way," he told Associated Press.

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Andy Peebles said he was "a one-of-a-kind, never-to-be-repeated star".

And Bob Harris of BBC Radio 2 described him as a "massive influence, not just for black music but also for so many white music fans who were so strongly motivated and influenced by the music he made".
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/6208615.stm

Published: 2006/12/25 13:53:44 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://vuesdumonde.forumactif.com/
mihou

MessageSujet: Obituary: James Brown   Lun 25 Déc - 9:39

Obituary: James Brown

When James Brown styled himself Soul Brother Number One, for once, this was no idle showbusiness exaggeration. His influence on popular music was, quite simply, enormous.

He transformed gospel music into rhythm and blues, and soul music into his own creation - funk - with its driving rhythms and insistent beat.

His performances remain unsurpassed for their urgency of expression and raw physicality, influencing later white rockers like Mick Jagger and Iggy Pop.

Born James Joe Brown Junior in 1933 in a one-room shack in the backwoods of South Carolina, by the age of seven he was boarding at a brothel in Augusta, Georgia.

Delighted and outraged audiences

He helped to pay the rent by shining shoes and tap-dancing in the streets.

Nine years later he was harshly punished for trying to steal a car. Sent to prison for between eight and 16 years, he eventually served only three years and a day.

On his release, he joined a gospel group. While pursuing a promising but ultimately abortive career as a semi-professional boxer, he rose to become the leader of the James Brown Revue.

Audiences were delighted and outraged by the group's tight R&B sound, fronted by the charismatic Brown, whose stage antics caused him to shed up to seven pounds a night.

In 1956, Brown wrote the song Please, Please, Please. It sold one million copies and propelled the singer to stardom.

Other hits followed as Brown worked up to 350 nights a year, earning himself another reputation, as the hardest-working man in showbusiness.

Mould-breaking show

Though the financial returns were scant - Brown and his band members earned a derisory $150 each for Please Please Please - he refused to compromise on the quality of his performances.

His reason was simple: "When you're on stage, the people who paid money to get in are the boss, even if it cost them only a quarter. You're working for them."

He treated his band like an army, imposing fines for lateness, scruffy costumes and poor playing. By the early 1960s his growing reputation saw him play to packed crowds at the Mecca of black music, Harlem's Apollo Theatre.

In 1961, realising that the essence of his music could only be captured live, Brown personally financed the recording of an album at the theatre.

The result, the mould-breaking James Brown Show Live at the Apollo, was a sensation. Establishing his reputation throughout the United States, it remains one of the most critically-acclaimed live albums ever recorded.

His status was enhanced by a succession of worldwide hits like Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, I Got You (I Feel Good) and Get Up (I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine).

Presidential thanks

Artistically, James Brown was breaking new ground with a whole new musical form, funk.

Songs like Cold Sweat, where the brass section and guitars drove the rhythm, exemplified the stylistic change which Brown wrought.

Success brought great wealth. James Brown owned radio stations, fast food restaurants and a private jet.

He embraced "black capitalism" even before the phrase was coined, urging his fellow countrypeople to live the American Dream.

He gave back, too, sponsoring food stamps for the poor and giving money and land to those in need, especially in Africa.

Some radicals, though, criticised him for his patriotism and he received death threats after playing to US troops in Vietnam.

Such was James Brown's influence that when Martin Luther King was assassinated in 1968, the order went out to broadcast Brown's show in Boston live across the United States.

Punctuated by his pleas for calm, the show helped to stem the tide of anger and Brown earned the personal thanks of President Lyndon Johnson.

Living in America

The 1970s were bad times for James Brown. His son Teddy died in a car accident, he himself was beset by tax problems and disco music threatened to eclipse his career.

Sheer hard work on the club circuit brought him back from the brink. A cameo role as a singing preacher in the cult 1980 film The Blues Brothers brought his music to another generation.

His song Living in America, a paean to the American Dream, was chosen as the theme music to Rocky IV and James Brown was among the first group of inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But James Brown's capacity for self-destruction was a constant danger. In 1988 an incident with a shotgun led to a high-speed police chase and he spent two-and-a-half years in jail.

His release coincided with a huge upswell in rap and hip-hop music, both of which borrowed freely from Brown's work. His role as a pivotal musical innovator was recognised as never before.

Even with his faults, James Brown was an important role model to a whole generation of African Americans.

Triumphing over poverty and racism, his outlook is best summed up by the title of one of his greatest hits - Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/386563.stm

Published: 2006/12/25 08:19:55 GMT

© BBC MMVI

mihou

MessageSujet: The influence of soul 'Godfather'   Lun 25 Déc - 9:43

The influence of soul 'Godfather'
Soul legend James Brown, who has died at the age of 73, received praise throughout his 50-year career for his ground-breaking and inspirational styles.

He was famous for hits such as I Got You (I Feel Good), Get Up I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine and Papa's Got a Brand New Bag.

Leading figures from the music industry have frequently cited the "Godfather of Soul" as an influence on their careers.

CHUCK D, RAPPER, PUBLIC ENEMY

From Public Enemy's website:

To explain the fever pitch that James Brown records set, of the foundations of hip-hop and rap music, it would [mean] using words still not invented.

Today, hip-hop seems a far distance from the mighty funk the man set upon all of us.

I was speechless when I met him backstage at BET's [Black Entertainment Television's] 20th anniversary.

He was viewing a monitor as he was set to go on with singer Ginuwine, who was dedicating a medley to the Godfather of Soul.

I was fixin' to get my camera, and when I turned around he was gone, ready to do his thing.

I couldn't find him after that. But still, I was blown away that he complimented me on 'my' stuff and even knew my
name.

And to the Associated Press:

James presented obviously the best grooves.

To this day, there has been no-one near as funky. No-one's coming even close.

MICHAEL JACKSON, POP STAR

At the BET Awards in 2003, where Brown received a lifetime achievement prize:

Nobody has influenced me more than this man.

LL COOL J, RAPPER AND ACTOR

During a ceremony at the Kennedy Arts Center in Washington DC:

He broke down mental and social barriers and made it possible for me, a black kid from Queens, to stand in front of presidents and say: 'Say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud.'

ALFRED "PEE WEE" ELLIS, JAMES BROWN'S SAXOPHONIST

From the PBS series American Masters:

When you heard James Brown was coming to town, you stopped what you were doing and started saving your
money.

BOB YOUNG, MAYOR OF AUGUSTA

Interviewed by the NPR radio programme All Things Considered:

I was a disc jockey back in the mid-60s. James Brown was a frequent visitor to Augusta.

He would have sold-out shows at the City Auditorium and I worked the overnight shift, so after the shows, he would come by the radio station.

We would just talk for extended periods of time on the air and play a lot of James Brown music.

We really started to develop a much closer relationship through those late-night discussions on the radio. I have fond memories of those.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/6208763.stm

Published: 2006/12/25 15:52:45 GMT

© BBC MMVI

mihou

MessageSujet: What is your reaction to the death of James Brown?   Lun 25 Déc - 9:45

James Brown: Your memories

What is your reaction to the death of James Brown?

The "Godfather of Soul" has died after being admitted to hospital with pneumonia. He was 73.

James Brown's appeal spans many decades and genres, from his pop-soul beginnings to spreading the popularity of funk around the world, influencing a new generation of black music which spawned rap and hip-hop.

Were you a fan of Soul Brother #1? Did you see James Brown live? What are your memories of the man and his music?

Click here to read our main story

Published: Monday, 25 December, 2006, 09:45 GMT 09:45 UK

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=5078&&edition=2&ttl=20061225164352

mihou

MessageSujet: 'Massive impact' of Brown's music   Lun 25 Déc - 20:21

'Massive impact' of Brown's music
Legendary funk musician James Brown has died at the age of 73, ending a career which spanned 50 years.

BBC Radio 2 presenter Bob Harris told BBC News 24 how he would remember the star, who was dubbed the "Godfather of Soul".

He had an absolutely massive musical impact as a musician, but also as a figurehead, really, for his generation and for black people in America in general, particularly in the '60s.

You look back at some of the great black music figures - Otis Redding, Bob Marley, Aretha Franklin, people like this.

James Brown really was in a category of his own.

He had a very complex domestic life.

He had been sent to prison two or three times during the course of his career. He dabbled pretty heavily in drugs.

But the thing about James Brown - he was an incredibly driven performer, and he was very aware of being James Brown and the figure that he was.

In fact, he insisted that everybody referred to him as Mr Brown. You were not allowed to call him James.

So this was a strong person with a strong sense of himself.

Exhaustion

He was known as the hardest working man in showbusiness and he was one of the first people to introduce synchronised dancing on stage.

There was that amazing act of his where towards the end of the set, he'd fall to the floor as if exhausted.

They'd put a cape around him, they'd be leading him off and suddenly he was back at the front of the stage.

He would go through this sequence at the end of the set several times - but you believed it.

You believed he would be exhausted because he would put so much energy into his live performances.

I was due to meet him [last month] because he was over in London being inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame.

He did a performance at the Roundhouse, which I was due to introduce that evening, but for various reasons I was unable to.

That would have been the one time that I had met him.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/6208981.stm

Published: 2006/12/25 14:54:37 GMT

© BBC MMVI

mihou

MessageSujet: Hommage à James Brown   Ven 29 Déc - 14:50

James BROWN, géant de la Musique, Roi de la Soul et père de la Funk est mort dans un monde sous-culturé, voire inculte et sans morale. Ce géant est parti sur la pointe des pieds, il n'a fait aucun bruit. Il a vendu des millions de disques, il a révolutionné la musique par sa liberté d'interprétation, sa façon de danser et de chanter. La voix de James Brown était à elle seule un instrument de musique. Je me souviens de cet homme bien coiffé, cet homme de soixante ans qui gesticulait sur la scène du Zenith voilà 10 ans environ, il a avait plus de 60 ans et dansait comme un jeune homme de 20 ans. C'était la "magie James Brown".

James Brown c'est aussi cet homme brisé par la condition des noirs aux Etats-Unis d'Amérique et en Afrique Noire, c'est aussi cet homme sensible qui avait éclaté en sanglots lors de la visite du haut lieu de la Traite des Noirs qu'est l'Ile de Gorée. Cette Ile où les tristes négriers de l'horreur chargeaient hommes, femmes et enfants, après un tri honteux (femmes vierges et femmes non vierges par exemple...) comme de la marchandise, la dernière image qui reste c'est cette fameuse porte qui s'ouvre sur le vaste océan mais qui ne se refermer jamais "la porte du voyage sans retour"... Combien de guerriers mandingues ou de Kunta Kinte ont passé cette porte de l'enfer pour arriver en terre d'inhumanité ? Si pour une minorité un Siècle des lumières a traversé une zone de l'Europe, pour la majorité des Peuples tenus par la barbarie esclavagiste ou coloniale européenne et américaine, aucune lumière n'est apparue pour éclairer leur condition humaine...

James Brown est parti sans bruit, et la Presse s'est bien retenu de faire du bruit... Pourquoi ? Ni Une ni hommage à télévision, pourtant James Brown ce n'est pas "Titi Poulet de la Star Ac" ? La Presse a préféré faire ses gros titres sur des faits divers chers au Ministre de l'Intérieur. La Presse a préféré parler de la mort d'un Gerald Ford nième Président des USA dont tout le monde se fiche, que les nouvelles générations ne connaissent pas et que les plus anciennes ont passé à la trappe depuis fort longtemps.

De "Sexe Machine" qui reste une valeur sûre à "It's a Man's, Man's, Man's world" autre valeur sûre, James Brown pouvait briser les tabous dans une Amérique très puritaine, (si tout le monde a fait des vagues du déhanchement de Presley, celui de James Brown était encore plus dérangeant pour les vendeurs de Bible de néons qui sont de retour sur les télévisions américaines depuis l'arrivée du Président intégriste Bush), mais James Brown pouvait aussi toucher les coeurs et poser un jugement de valeur sur un monde où des hommes asservissent d'autres hommes "un monde d'hommes" disait James Brown traduisant son sentiment pessimiste quant à la possible évolution positive de l'Homme en matière de respect de ses semblables.

James Brown est mort dans la nuit de Noël, pas étonnant pour ce Saint de la Musique, si Saint que même le Gouvernement américain inculte (à la bonne heure) vient de lancer une journée de deuil national pour ce Prophète qui est arrivé de façon fracassante sur la Scène de la Musique mondiale et qui est reparti sans faire de bruit, fort de l'amour de ses fans, d'un travail de musicien plus qu'accompli.

James Brown était un Génie de la Musique, le Prhophète de la Soul comme Bob Marley était le Prophète du Reggae.

Je suis vraiment choquée de n'avoir pas vu le visage de James Brown dans les rues de Paris le 26 Décembre 2006. Je me dis que finalement, tout s'en va et il est logique que les meilleurs partent alors sans un Hommage plus que mérité... Peut-être que l'enfant adopté de Madonna ou le dernier tatouage d'Angelina Jolie sont plus intéressants que la mort d'un Monstre sacré ? Peut-être que finalement James Brown n'était pas assez connu pour certains ? Je n'ose penser que c'était du racisme ou encore de l'inculture à l'heure où certains nous réduisent la culture africaine à "la bite des noirs" ou encore à "la polygamie est la raison des émeutes en banlieue"...

En tout cas James Brown n'était ni noir ni blanc, il était un arc-en-ciel et tant pis pour ceux qui n'ont pas compris la magie James Brown et la qualité du personnage qui vient de fermer les yeux, après une carrière de chanteur Soul et Funk plus que remplie.

Ciao James Brown, et merci pour la musique et le show au Zenith que je n'oublierai jamais.

Salutations.

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Soul star James Brown dies at 73   

Page 1 sur 1